I'm starting to really itch to get in the classrooms. I think we all are. The time's a gettin nearer!
Yesterday I had some internet troubles and didn't get to update but class was very exciting. Dr. G gave a faux math lesson to show examples of how one could give accommodations and modifications to special ed students in what's called an "Inclusion" model classroom--where special ed kids are mixed in with general ed kids instead of in a separate classroom entirely. I really like the Inclusion model, although I'm sure it's difficult in practice...it makes a statement that we are all in this together and people with disabilities live among us and we all have to learn to work together. As Dr. G says, these people with disabilities will be, and are, our co-workers, friends, employers, etc. So learning skills now to interact and accommodate is important!! It was mostly funny just to have a flashback to high school...when else do you get a "fake" high school lesson? It was funny. It was fun. It made me think about teaching a little, about how I would explain things more simply. Because our most recent school is college, it's hard to think in high school language. I have a feeling I may be tempted to make things more complicated than necessary.
"Content Literacy" has been a little challenging because literacy and math have a different kind of relationship than the other subjects. I found myself reminded of my old high school math teacher's experimental project of giving us a pop math article to read and respond to in an essay form. He talked it over with the honor's English teacher and they made it a fun sort of experiment. We talked about how writing about different content areas in English is really ideal because the goal of English is that you have to write anyway...whereas in Math you have to find all these "sneaky" ways to tuck things in. Like this book we are reading suggests having a word wall of math vocab words, have talking exercises where kids talk over math strategies with a partner, make their own graphic organizers where they explain problem-solving steps, etc. It really made me realize how math is like a different language--that's why it has special implications for ELL and even special ed kids. The fact that it doesn't involve written English as much makes me kind of want to capitalize on that to get everyone on the same page. So I'm sure my opinions will evolve over time. I like the idea though of teaching kids how to use textbooks--covering up the answers of the examples and trying the problems themselves before they move onto the next step, etc.
There is definitely more to reflect on but I'm starting to feel like I can't write complete sentences so I'll have to get back at it tomorrow! Gotta love night class. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment